It is currently November 21st, 2017, 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

[Offline]
 Post subject: Looking for some tech/net help
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2008, 3:17 pm 

So i moved into college.. got settled in and all. I logged in to the campus net and am connected to the internet, but i cant seem to stay online in game for over a minute. The internet works fine, a tad slower than my home connection but when I'm online here I have around 100 MS. Posted on guild forums and what I got from that is that the school could possibly be blocking the game.

Emp sent me to http://www.portforward.com/

bad news is i dont really have a router.. ethernet plug goes straight into the wall. Any help would be great.
 Profile E-mail  

[Offline]
 Post subject: Re: Looking for some tech/net help
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2008, 4:22 pm 
Greatest Shaman in the World

Call your school's tech support and ask if they're purposely blocking certain ports for online gaming.

[Offline]
PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 3:03 pm 

They said they blocked it to keep the network safe... any way to bypass this?
 Profile E-mail  

[Offline]
PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 8:46 pm 
Number One Asshole

suck em off

Profile E-mail  

[Offline]
PostPosted: August 31st, 2008, 9:46 am 

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how- ... rk-access/

Here's a graff

[Offline]
PostPosted: August 31st, 2008, 8:59 pm 

Donjo wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/

Here's a graff

Never posten on the forums but i was poking around out of bordom so i thought id post. (its Demondot btw). Anyways, SSH, or Secure Shell, is a protocal that exchanges data through a secure channel. While it is effective, there are a few drawbacks.

One, its slow. It is slow, because it is encrypted. The idea of SSH is to be able to send and receive data without the internetz seeing it. Now over the last few years, things such as Squid have come around that allow you to tunnle more then just a shell through SSH, but its slow. If you were to use it, you would have astronomicle pings for both this reason, and the next drawback. Second drawback to using SSH as your solution, is that you need an external system, typically a linux server, on another connection that isnt blocking ports. Now, sure, that could be plausable if you happen to have a linux server running back at your parents place or what not, in which case youd already have SSH set up to maintain it, but then you are not only limited to how much traffic you can transmit over the tunnle, but also what their internet will handle. Third problem, if the university is blocking ports, they could also be blocking traffic on 22 and 2200 (typicall SSH ports).

So in my opinion, your best bet would be to talk to the admins of your school's network and say "Hey, I play wow seriously, just us static DHCP or somthing and just open the ports to my system." Don't let them tell you that they cant, because they can open ports on their packet filter or PIX or whatever else they my have running to any IP.

Wall of text crits you for over 9000!!!!!!!11
 Profile E-mail  

[Offline]
PostPosted: August 31st, 2008, 11:46 pm 

I work in IT on the systems administration team at my university, and I play WoW. And my boss plays WoW. And his boss plays WoW. There's a fairly good chance your university's IT department is similar and they'll listen to you if you find the right person to ask.
 Profile E-mail