It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

[Offline]
 Post subject: Wolfram Alpha
PostPosted: May 16th, 2009, 10:04 am 

A "computational knowledge engine". From their site:

Quote:
Wolfram|Alpha's long-term goal is to make all systematic knowledge immediately computable and accessible to everyone. We aim to collect and curate all objective data; implement every known model, method, and algorithm; and make it possible to compute whatever can be computed about anything. Our goal is to build on the achievements of science and other systematizations of knowledge to provide a single source that can be relied on by everyone for definitive answers to factual queries.

Wolfram|Alpha aims to bring expert-level knowledge and capabilities to the broadest possible range of people—spanning all professions and education levels. Our goal is to accept completely free-form input, and to serve as a knowledge engine that generates powerful results and presents them with maximum clarity.

Wolfram|Alpha is an ambitious, long-term intellectual endeavor that we intend will deliver increasing capabilities over the years and decades to come. With a world-class team and participation from top outside experts in countless fields, our goal is to create something that will stand as a major milestone of 21st century intellectual achievement.

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYhLsQPHNas

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

[Offline]
 Post subject: Re: Wolfram Alpha
PostPosted: May 16th, 2009, 11:31 am 
Homosexual Juggernaut

JESUS CHRIST ITS SKYNET CALL JOHN CONNOR

[Offline]
PostPosted: May 16th, 2009, 12:13 pm 
ASSHOLE

I think I just saw a video of a good data miner, and not something that can "implement every known model, method, and algorithm." I know "product speak" is usually ambitious to say the least, but jesus. That makes it sound like I can give it parameters, as "completely free-form input" mind you, and it will correctly model and run, say, a spiking neural net. The video was more: compare this to that.

Having said that, nothing wrong with a good data mining engine that can do some manipulations. The big question of course is going to be: where do they get their database and is it transparent. Anyhow, the clip that was linked was a response to the full hour-45 lecture, so maybe that will explain more. An ambitious project to say the least.

[Offline]
PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 4:31 pm 

Something new for them to eternally spam me about just because I had to download Mathmatica one time for one project in one class!
 Profile E-mail